There are many small but essential parts inside an electric bike. The controller is one of them, and electric bike controller problems are not a new one. In this article, you will learn about the possible ways to solve these issues and their causes.
A controller is basically used to connect all the electronic components of an electric bike. The electronic components are like the battery, throttle, motor, pedal-assist, display, and many more sensors. Therefore, it is known as the heart of an e-bike.
It takes power from the battery and transfers it to the motor. As a result, the speed of the e-bike can be controlled. It generally comes in a sealed protective box. However, some are fixed inside a frame in a hidden way.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to troubleshoot electric bike controller problems?
- 2 What causes electric bike controller problems?
- 3 Conclusion
How to troubleshoot electric bike controller problems?
Everything has a solution to its problem. Like that, electric bike controller problems can also be solved. You need to follow some steps to troubleshoot the issues. Here is a step by step guideline to find the problems along with the possible solutions for it.
Observe the artistry carefully
The intensity of a company is reflected through the controller’s work. Here we are providing some ways to select the best one through comparison.
- A large company’s product is certainly better than the controller from a workshop.
- Wave welding products are better than manual welding products.
- A product with a low appearance is not as good as a controller that looks fine.
- A controller that cuts corners of the wire is not as good as the one that uses thick cables.
- The light radiator controller is not as good as a heavy radiator controller.
- The company pursuing somewhat with craft and makings is reverse credibility tall.
Temperature rise comparison
The rise of temperature should be compared between the new and original controller to see which one gets hot fast.
- First, the two controllers are to be torn down.
- Second, hold up the radiator to turn first for reaching the top speed.
- Third, press the brake instantly for about 5 seconds, but without being too hard. Its purpose is to protect the wall of the controller.
- At last, lose the brake to reach the high speed. This process is to be repeated at least 30 times until it achieves the radiator’s highest temperature tip detection.
So from this comparison, we can say that the lower temperature will be better. Moreover, these test conditions must ensure the same power limit and battery capacity in the same car at the same time and brake force. To end the test, the screw’s tightness fixing MOS must be checked.
If it is not tight enough, the insulating plastic particle’s temperature tolerance will be worse. As a result, MOS will be damaged in the long run due to advanced heat.
In the same way, install the radiator and recap the above test. Its motive is to compare the radiator’s temperature, examining the controller’s cooling design.
Observe the control ability of the backpressure
- First, choose a car with a little more considerable power.
- Second, detach the battery from the device and choose the electric vehicle’s power supply charger.
- Third, ensure the proper connection of the brake handle switch that is connected to the enable terminal’s e-abs.
- Turn the handle slowly as a large quantity of current cannot output by the fast charger.
If something happens like that, then Undervoltage can occur. So let the motor reach the maximum speed to brake fast repeatedly. It will not appear in the phenomenon of MOS damage.
While braking, the charger’s output end voltage will increase rapidly. This will happen while testing the controller’s instantaneous voltage limiting capability. The entire test will go in vain if a battery tastes it. The test can also be done quickly when the car is at maximum speed with the applied brakes.
Ability to control current
- First, you need to connect the whole battery. It will be better if the capacity is more extensive.
- Now let the motor reach the top speed by choosing its short circuit’s output line. It should not be MOS damage.
- The battery’s anode and an elective motor wire short circuit are to be used repeatedly 30 times.
This is simpler than the previous test. The circuit’s MOS internal resistance is less, the short circuit’s direct current is more extensive, and the controller’s current quick control ability.
If damage occurs, then a comparison can be made with the number of times that two controllers effectively bear short circuits. One motor line is to pull out to turn at the supreme value. During this time, the motor will remain off.
Another motor line is to be switched on and rotate quickly. This experiment part can confirm the controller’s software and hardware reliability design.
What causes electric bike controller problems?
After knowing how to solve the controller’s problems, you might want to know the reasons behind these glitches. This is very important for you to know if you have an electric bike as prevention is better than cure.
Damage of power device
There are some possible reasons for power device damage. These are
- motor damage
- low-quality power of the device
- insufficient grades selection
- shaking caused by the loose device installation
- overload of motor
- drive circuit damage of power device
- irrational parameter design
Damage of the controller’s internal power supply
The reasons behind the controller’s internal power supply damages are:
- short circuit of the inner route of the controller
- control unit’s peripheral short circuit
- short out of the outer lead
Irregularity of controller’s work
The reasons for the irregularity of the controller’s work are:
- the device is in a high or low-temperature parameter drift environment
- high power consumption of the controller’s overall design leads to some device’s high local temperature
- the device enters the security state
- poor interaction
Control signal loss caused by wear of defective and connection wire
The reasons for controlling signal loss caused by wear of faulty and connection wire are:
- difficult choice of wire
- incomplete safety of wire
- the connector is loosely pressed
The controller is essential for your electric bike. Without this small device, your bike will not work. Therefore, it should have more energy than the motor to increase the reliability of the system.
From the above article, we have come up with all the information about electric bike controller problems. Along with that, we have also learned the reasons behind this. Hope so from now onwards; you will purchase a controller from the market or online after having some research.